Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Stereotypically Inaccurate Story

I read "Paper Bag Princess" by Robert N. Munsch with Isaac, Eve, and Sydney during ELA. It is a picture book about the Princess Elizabeth who is going to marry Prince Ronald when a dragon attacks the castle, burns it to the ground, and kidnaps Ronald. The Princess then goes on an adventure to save her fiance Ronald. This doesn't sound like your average fairytale, now does it? This is completely the opposite of what most fairytales poison you with.

This is a picture book that I have enjoyed greatly. It answers a bunch of "What Ifs" that no one bothered to go through. It also has very strong message about stereotypes. Me, Isaac, Eve, and Sydney agreed that the main message is to not judge yourself or other people by stereotypes. Stereotypes are very bad things. It is someones generalization of one group of people. In this case, it is the generalization that princesses expect princes to save them when they are in need. So, Munsch completely flipped that stereotype around to prove that stereotype to be wrong. Most stereotypes are inaccurate, but even if they are so what? It shouldn't really matter.

So, overall, this book proved a big point which is great to show kids. This is because these younger kids can learn that stereotypes are bad at an early point in their life so they will never stereotype someone else. This book also has a twist ending. I believe it is one the best twist endings I have ever read. Princess Elizabeth saves Prince Ronald, but Ronald is disgusted by her appearance. So, in return, Elizabeth proceeds to call Ronald a "bum" and leaves.

Best. Ending. Ever.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Pablo. This book is a completely flipped around fable. But, I do not believe that kids would get this message.
    Good Job

    ReplyDelete